From the ashes of a planned Residence Inn to the fury of one of Denver’s most coveted commercial districts.
“Trader Joe’s officials liked the site because Colorado Boulevard is one of the hottest retail districts in metro Denver, and the site puts the grocer in close proximity to the neighborhoods of , Hilltop, Cherry Creek and Mayfair.” wrote Dennis Huspeni, who quoted Jimmy Balafas, principal of Kentro Group of Denver, said of the East Eighth Avenue and Colorado Boulevard corner.
The site was a long-time home to a Denver institution: Annie’s cafe, a video rental store, liquor store, printer, and two apartment buildings. During the boom euphoria of the middle of the last decade, the site was combined and re-zoned for a 160 room Residence Inn by Marriott; the neighborhood was in favor, plans were drawn, but the big money guys from the downtown Ritz debacle couldn’t get the project to the finish line after they had already torn down the existing buildings and sent the existing businesses on their merry way.
- Trader Joe’s confirms a Denver location for 2013 (denverpost.com)
- Trader Joe’s Confirms First Denver Store Location (denver.cbslocal.com)
- Trader Joe’s won’t sell ‘Two-Buck Chuck’ wine at Boulder store (denverpost.com)
- Denver Trader Joe’s developer races to open before Boulder (denverpost.com)
- Trader Joe’s is Coming. No it’s Not. Well, Maybe it is. (buffalorising.com)
- Trader Joe’s to open in Brookfield on Nov. 2 (jsonline.com)
- Trader Joe’s confirms plans for Denver store (gazette.com)
- Is Trader Joe’s coming to Kenmore? (wivb.com)
- Trader Joe’s Coming To Colorado (kktv.com)
- Trader Joe’s now open at Patriot Place (franklinmatters.org)