If you haven’t been, you need to go. The MCA Café is a curated culinary space on the rooftop of MCA Denver offering coffee, lunch and a full bar. It’s great for lunch, happy hour or a Friday evening drink. The hours are Tuesday–Friday NOON–9PM, Saturday & Sunday 10AM–7PM.
In 2007 MCA Denver opened its new, 27,000-square foot, environmentally sustainable facility in lower downtown Denver designed by acclaimed architect David Adjaye of Adjaye Associates (UK). He is one of the best up and coming architect in the world. If you are not familiar with his work, check it out. http://www.adjaye.com http://www.architecturaldigest.com/AD100/2012/adjaye-associates-ad100-profile
The building, Adjaye’s first museum commission, was designed to minimize boundaries between the exterior spaces of the city and the interior galleries of the museum. Hidden skylights fill the interior spaces with natural light. Windows look out on the streets of the central Platte Valley. The building has five galleries on two floors as well as dedicated education spaces, a shop, library and rooftop cafe.
What we like best about this space is that when it was first designed, it acted as a sort of an anchor, and now 5 years later the area has grown around it, and it still seems the crown jewel.
In terms of exhibits they are good as well. In sept check out the Continental Drift that brings together the work of seven Colorado artists who explore the idea of place in diverse and thoughtful ways. Ranging from specific studies of both historical sites and contemporary ruins to more abstract or conceptual examinations of space, the artists demonstrate a collective preoccupation with place and setting. While some seek to unearth a specific history in Colorado, others are interested in the ideas and objects that define sites and establish the contours of spaces we all inhabit. The Continental Drift is open until September 23.
Whether there for the rooftop view, libations, the building, an event, or the exhibitions; MCA is one of our favorite hidden places in Denver.
- #ShitToHit: Design Within Denver – An MCA Denver Trunk Show (thedenveregotist.com)
- doug aitken + david adjaye: pavilion for tate liverpool (designboom.com)
- T Magazine: Mirror, Mirror | David Adjaye (tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Bound to be special: D.C. libraries by David Adjaye are stylish additions to distressed areas – Celebrity News (sfluxe.com)
- Museum Admission: Frohawk Two Feathers at MCA Denver (newamericanpaintings.wordpress.com)
- Beastie Boys’ MCA’s final wish? Don’t put my music in ads (o.canada.com)